There are various wireless router models designed using Linksys router USB storage. They have at least one USB port. You can use it for linking a USB drive through which you can utilize a media server for networked media devices on the File Transfer Protocol. The newest Linksys USB routers have a Filer Server functionality that allows users to gain access to the Wi-Fi USB storage. In some instances, you might not be able to gain access to the Linksys router. In this article, you’ll find how to access the external storage on this router and what you can do on finding Linksys external storage not working.
Ways to Access Linksys Router External Storage
After finishing the router setup, you can access the USB drive and start sharing files via the Wi-Fi router. There are two distinct methods through which you can access external storage. It includes formatting the USB drive and accessing the USB router storage of Linksys. Keep reading to know about them below.
Format the USB drive
You need to format the Linksys router to FAT32 or NTFS file system for sharing Linksys external storage on your router or to access the external storage. Linksys routers having storage are compatible with external drives, which are formatted either NTFS or FAT32. For this purpose, you can employ MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, which is a free formatting tool. The tool enables you to format the USB drive also. If your USB drive isn’t formatted as NTFS or FAT32, go through these steps below.<
- Link your Linksys USB drive to your system.
- Open the MiniTool Partition Wizard. Open its major interface. Choose the USB drive and tap on the ‘Format Partition‘ that’s on the screen’s left side.
- After choosing the File System, click ‘OK‘ from the drop-down menu.
- Lastly, from the upper left corner, tap ‘Apply.’
Accessing the external storage in Linksys router
After formatting the USB drive, you can share it from your Wi-Fi router. Follow these steps to know how to access external storage on Linksys router.
- Plug the USB storage at the back part of the router.
- Sign in to your account. You’ll access the router’s dashboard.
- Tap the ‘Manage External Storage’ button if the USB drive gets identified to launch the overview screen.
- You can observe your external storage drive’s status. You can also see the files on the network via folder sharing. It’s possible for you to gain access to the IP address of the Linksys router.
- If you cannot access the router, launch ‘File Explorer‘ and look for the IP address in its address bar. You’ll find the shared files or folders.
- When they appear on your screen, open and check if all the files are in it.
Measures to Take on Finding Linksys External Storage Not Working
Many people face issues with Linksys router not recognizing the external drive. When the router does not detect the external hard drive, you can take certain measures to fix this issue. Given below are the instructions for different techniques you can implement.
Upgrade the firmware of your Linksys router
If you find Linksys router external storage not working, it means that it’s not upgraded. There comes a time when all routers reach their final phase. These models consist only of essential security updates, or they don’t get upgraded at all. If your router isn’t upgraded, the first thing you can do to resolve this problem is to upgrade it. It will instantly make the external storage work.
Firmware updates are error fixes and feature enhancements for the Linksys router. When the firmware of your device is updated, it resolves issues you may face while using it. Given below is a manual way to upgrade Linksys Wi-Fi router firmware.
- Open a web browser. On its address bar, enter 192.168.1.1. Hit Enter.
- If you’ve modified the IP address or it doesn’t work, see the local IP address of your router.
- Enter your credentials. Admin is the default password. If you have changed it, use the new one.
- Tap ‘Administration‘ and then ‘Firmware Upgrade.’
- Click ‘Browse.’ Depending on your router, you may have to click the ‘Choose File’ button.
- Find and choose the file you have downloaded. After that hit ‘Open.’
- Click ‘Start Upgrade.’ Never turn off the power or hit the ‘Reset‘ button during the upgrade procedure.
- Next, click ‘Continue‘ when you find the upgrade being successful.
- Turn your router off. Then turn it on.
Factory reset your Linksys router.
It’s one of the most prevalent troubleshooting measures. But you should remember to rest the router with the drive connected to it. For resetting the router, follow the steps below.
- Search and locate the ‘Reset‘ button. It is found at the router’s back.
- Hold and press this button for 10 seconds. It will begin the factory reset on the router. If you view the flashing power LED, it indicates that the reset is working.
- If you don’t view it, hold and press the reset button for half a minute. Make sure that the router is powered on.
- Unplug the power cable while still pressing the reset button for half a minute more.
- Link the power cable to the router again and keep holding the same button for half a minute more.
- Release the button.
Upgrade the firmware of your Linksys router
Link the external hard drive to a system. The hard drive is linked to the outside of the system via a USB connection. This connection often serves as a portable storage solution. You need to test that it functions to ensure that it’s not the cause behind the problem.
Also Read- Fix Linksys Router Password Not Working.
Now you know how to access the external storage of the Linksys router. You also know what to do on finding Linksys external storage not working. Follow the stepwise instructions given in this article. But if you cannot access the external storage or face any other issue, connect with Linksys customer support service at Internet Homes. The support professionals will resolve all your router-related issues.